Monday, February 10, 2014

Confidence

Well, today was the driver's test. I've probably driven about 1500 miles or so this month, but California wants to see how qualified I am. I hate tests like that, they're testing a style of driving I never do, and keep me from doing things the way I'm used to. But, I got through the written test, and that was supposed to be the hard part. I figured my experience would lead the way.

I did have a few handicaps. This was a city I've never been in, I'd need to take verbal cues for where to go, instead of following the GPS, or taking known roads, and I wouldn't have the GPS to tell me my speed or the speed limit.

So, we started, and I started driving in "driving test" mode, exaggerating every motion and doing stuff as smoothly as possible. I was nervous, as I usually am when I'm not in control, and someone else decides my fate. We ended up navigating down some residential roads, and they asked me to park anywhere that's legal, so that was easy. Then, they asked me to back up in a straight line. I'm terrible at backing up, that's why I took a car with a rear camera. So, I took cues from Worst Driver, put my arm behind the passenger seat, and tried driving looking behind me. I had no useful visual cues, and I ended up rolling over the curb.

That's a test ending mistake. Apparently, they don't need you to parallel park, but they want that reversing, and I probably took 'back up in a straight line' too literally. The way the tests there work is there's a bunch of minor errors, and you need to be below the quota. However, one critical mistake is an automatic fail.

Now, I'm terrible at knowing where my corners are, so I usually guess very conservatively, and set myself for near impossible tasks. I avoid hitting obstacles that could damage cars, but curbs are fair territory for me, as it's the best thing for me to hit. I've hit countless cement obstacles this month, which are to keep people from parking too far. But, I know what needs to happen. Also, I was driving so passively, that I was dangerously slow. Apparently, I was doing 25 in a 40 zone. I also failed to turn when cars were far away, since I got burned by that on one of my first tests, a decade ago. Seems I should try driving normally, instead of trying to metagame the driving test. However, that requires confidence, and after missing that, I kept doubting my driving the rest of the day. I'll need to build that back up, and return in full force. I have the list of everything I did wrong, so I can check for those.

I tried setting up the next appointment, and I could have one as soon as tomorrow, but I'd rather try that reversing thing in daylight, first, so I'll set it for next Tuesday, since it's the first day I can get when I'll have a chance. I hear the test in Fullerton is terrible, so I'll stick with Whittier. It's closer to work, so I don't need to work from home, and apparently, the testers there aren't as strict. Seems it's commonplace for everyone to pass on their 3rd/last test in Fullerton.

Also, today was another run day. Still at 25 minutes, but the last 5 minutes was supposed to be at higher speed. I had to walk a few pieces, but I'm getting there. Got about 8 weeks to go from 2 miles to...? Next one will also be 25 minutes, but with a few hard sprints mixed in, instead of a long faster session.

Ooh, and my new phone shipped. I finally got my watch on the weekend, and I'm getting a Nexus 5 to replace my old phone, since it's starting to slip on me.

So, I have things to look forward to. We'll see how it goes. I still have some projects to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment