Thursday, February 6, 2014

DMV, rain, and running

Things are getting interesting at work... I'm in a weird spot where I'm new enough that people tend to forget about me, but that I'm experienced enough that I'm doing real things. So, it leads to spots where I don't get meeting invites, and teammates need to ask me if I'm going to the meeting they're headed into that I don't know about.

Other than that, the new code is still really raw, so it doesn't quite work yet, limiting my productivity, but there's a plan B I can work on.

Oh yea, today was the morning at the DMV. It didn't go as bad as you'd expect. I had an appointment, so I was able to cut the main line and get the shorter route. Filled out the form, waited a few minutes to see the next person, and got the main stuff going. So, after getting the picture, the last step was the written test. I did binge read the manual a week or two ago, when I was expecting to take the test originally, so I was going from memory and common sense. I was figuring I had a 50/50 chance to pass it, but I only had 4 mistakes out of a limit of 6 (out of 36), so not bad.

It took some double checking of facts, but I will be able to keep my Canadian license (which expires in September), while getting what is essentially a learner's permit in California, while still using my Canadian licence (with passport and immigration documents) to keep going until the road test, which is Monday.

It did rain the most of the day, so the drive back was pretty interesting. And, today is a run day, so I ran in the rain. It wasn't too bad, but the mist kept going in my glasses and cutting vision. It's tricky to dodge ducks when you can't see them. I'll need to get more contact lenses soon. Otherwise, it went pretty well. My shins took most of the brunt this time, but I added some speed, and that park has hills, which will help. Next time, I'll need to try a different park, likely where I play volleyball.

So, the big part of the week is done. There are projects I'll need to catch up on, but I'm pretty open. If the weather clears up, I might try one of the local amusement parks, for good measure. We'll see. Options are wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment