Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Adventures in pretty much everything

Time can be a weird thing. The more thing that happens, the harder it is to keep track of what's going on, and interpreting time correctly. Last year, I'd have events happen earlier in the week feel like way earlier in the month. Now, I'm actually confusing events from today as being earlier this week, and it's only Tuesday.

So, let's see what I can remember of the day... the good news is that writing it down does jog the memory.

I'm back in my 7-6 days, and you'd think I'd be used to them by now, but last week, I had a bunch of appointments interrupt them, so I haven't had one in almost two weeks. As a result, I had a bit of insomnia and only really slept at midnight. But, I got up, and headed in.

My GPS is officially in the doghouse. There are basically two routes I can take. The freeways, or sneak up a mile or two, and take a straight line route on surface streets. Because of traffic, I wanted the surface streets, so I told it to use the alternate route. I live in a big apartment complex, and my parking spot is basically in the middle of the block. There are north and south exits, but my straightest route is north, while my GPS assumes I'll take the south. So, I set up in the garage, and when I go out the north route, it needs to recalculate. Doing so canceled out my previous request to use the surface streets, so it sent me on the freeways. I rolled with it.

The GPS did know about the traffic, and had me take an earlier exit, instead of going to the closest exit. However, others must have had the same idea, because the offramp was completely congested. So, the GPS had the brilliant idea to put me back on the freeway using a road that was closed. That's when I told it to just stop.

I pulled out the phone, got a proper route using current information, made a three point turn, and got to work within 5 minutes. I mentioned it at work, and someone told me of a crowdsourced mapping app that helps with navigation. Looks pretty cool, I'll need to try it when I take new routes, like going to the DMV tomorrow morning.

I'm not sure where my team was just before lunch, so I figured they must have left already, so I went to get something to eat, when I noticed them in front of me outside. We went to one of the Asian places near work where I haven't been, and they were pretty good. So, I have the Subway, two Asian places and a Mexican place to work with.

Work was interesting too, despite the fact that I never got the meeting request, we had a developer meeting, where our dev lead decided to stop relying on the architecture team to handle training, and walked his team through the setup himself. Our team did see new faces, so my old coworker and I have been helping them as well, while getting ours set up as well. So, I was able to spend most of the day in dev, instead of just playing around in the old system. I'd like to have an idea what's next, but working from the seat of my pants works too.

On the way back, I needed to hit a Staples to get a bubble mailer, so I can send my broken watch back and get a replacement. On that road, I spotted a Peruvian seafood restaurant that I was referred to by my car guy. It was really different, but really good, and generous portions. Also, for as worldly as I pretend to be, I forgot Peru was a Spanish speaking country. I'm still trying to talk Spanish, but I keep getting talked to in English, and forget.

I also picked up the new Rocksmith yesterday, so I started working on that. I'm extremely beginner at this stage, but they got me to tune the thing, and started taking some lessons, which is nice. It'll take some time, but it's something else to work on. I took the rhythm guitar path, so I can do acoustic stuff, which is my real goal. It still sounds a bit weird, and I can't tell if it's me or the guitar. But, we'll see. Making it sound good is a skill I need.

Huh. Guess I do still have plenty to talk about. Tomorrow is the DMV appointment, so I'll start working from home, then head in after. Unfortunately, I can't do dev from there without a VPN (connection to work network), so I'll stick to self teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment