Monday, January 20, 2014

Home sweet home?

This morning, I woke up at the hotel, caught up on my usual reading, then made sure to get all my stuff into the car or garbage. I checked out, so I'm officially living at the new place. It's very empty, but for a few days, I'll manage.

I also had to get the rental car renewed for another week. I tried calling, and when they told me it would cost $1400, I told them I'd just do what I did last week, and go to the place in person. As usual, this was harder than it had to be.
I didn't remember which one I hit last week, but I put the GPS to the nearest one, (heading west in case I had to go LAX), and I arrived to find nothing. I picked a second one, drove there, and discovered it was closed, and barricaded off. Looked like they repaved.
Since the third one was halfway to LAX, already, I just went straight to the airport. It looked like I'd get there in time, but I misinterpreted the GPS or the road, and ended up passing right by the airport pickup area. After more driving, some in the right direction, I found myself there, and was able to extend without a hitch. It also turns out I can leave it at another location, but it'll cost $25-75, depending on how far it is. I'll keep it in mind when I lease the car next week.

So, given how warm it was in the car, I went right home and took take 2 at the pool. It was still way too cold. So I tried the hot tub, and after a few minutes, it was too hot. The beach volleyball court seemed just right, but no one else was playing. So, I went for food and shopping.

Now, I should know better by now, but portions in the US are big. At least it means I can get a lot of food cheap, if I choose to go that route. But, if I ever open a restaurant, everything on the menu will have pictures, and each picture will have a banana for comparison. The banana wouldn't come with the meal per say, but it's a banana. If they ask, we'll give them one. Or make them the little breads on the table.

So, I got some basic things, and I'm set up. I'll probably continue to eat out, but I have plenty of breakfast crackers, fruit, bread, deli meats... Some basics that need no real cooking, as well as a bunch of dollar store utensils and plates. I'm pretty surprised how thorough their 99 cent stores are, they even have produce. It won't be my core shopping spot, but I have some ideas that would be cheaper and less wasteful than my usual.

However, the internet won't be set up until Thursday, and the public WiFi here is very iffy. I actually lost it an hour or two ago (Sunday evening), so this won't be posted on schedule. Sorry. I'll get it up first thing in the morning. I'll also need to talk to my cell phone provider and see why I can't get internet access. Phone always works.

Well, tomorrow, I'll try getting that letter and look at getting that car. I may have put 1000 miles on the rental, but all those trips to LAX add up. I'll use way less gas once I'm stable.

Oh, and I just heard from the movers... They should be here Wednesday afternoon, and the actual cost is less than we were expected, so that frees up more cash! Huzzah!

1 comment: