Saturday, January 11, 2014

Rent: not the musical

Today was the first day I was really available to do stuff in daylight hours, so I spent it looking at a bunch of different places to live. I checked a lot of places, contacted many, ended up seeing five (I'll see a sixth tomorrow).
None of them were terrible, but none of them were ideal. Some were better than others, and I've got two front runners. I like to say it boils down to dishwasher vs beach volleyball court, but really, it's price, location, and the actual floor plan.
I have a lot of stuff in a truck coming towards me, and I need to fit it all in the new place, so enough square footage is required. However, not all rooms are the same, even if they are similar sizes. Doors can make it tricky to put both the couch and chair in a nice place to see the TV. The dining room and master bedroom shouldn't be an issue, but I will probably use the guest room as the computer room, instead of my previous scheme of stuffing it between the living and dining rooms.

I'll pass my ideas through my contacts here, to make sure neither area is a terrible idea, but I think I've got an idea which one breaks the tie.


However, because I'm definitely not moving in before my hotel week expires, I went and extended that, giving me room to breathe. I tried to do the same with the rental car, but their system seems to have no idea who I am, and when trying to forward me to a live representative, managed to hang up on me. I'll check a local office tomorrow, since I'm not driving anywhere near LAX unless I have to.

Other than that, I think I'm running out of critical things to do, but I finished after dark, so I couldn't take the suggestion of heading to the beach. I will want to look at sport groups I can join, since I do want to meet people who aren't co-workers. We'll see tomorrow when I have my business sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment