Monday, January 27, 2014

Licence to thrill

Well, turns out I'm not quite done with logistics. My coworker was asking if I had gotten my new licence yet, and I swear, no one else seemed to think this is a thing, but if I'm a California resident, I'm supposed to get a drivers licence within 10 days. So, I'm about two weeks late on that. I knew someone was telling me about that, but couldn't remember who, or how credible they were. The car rental was fine with me for 3 weeks with a foreign licence, the car dealership was fine with it, and I'm pretty sure I asked them about it, and they said it was fine.

So, I've got an appointment with the DMV on Wednesday, and we'll see what needs to happen. As far as I can tell, I just need a lot of ID, and to pass the written and eye test, as well as a few other things. I'm going through the California driver's handbook, and that's not the funnest of reads, but hopefully common sense and my general intellect prevails. I will need to take a test behind the wheel, and that'll need to happen after I get my plates, so hopefully that happens soon.

Their manual seems to assume everyone's just turning 16, so we'll need to see how many of those actually apply. Technically, I need someone over 25 with a valid driver's licence to drive me there. You can make an interpretation that I count, or one that I don't. I'm hoping common sense prevails.

So, that'll be the next step in my adventure. Thankfully, I've got three weeks of experience to go by.

Also, Netflix didn't want to work tonight, hopefully that fixes itself. And, I'm in the long part of the week, so we'll see what happens. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like things are falling into place for you, Pat. I've enjoyed following your blog and look forward to your updates. Best of luck with your license and enjoy southern California.

    ReplyDelete