Sunday, January 12, 2014

Beachfront and property

I thought yesterday was going to be the househunting day, but I had a sixth place to visit today, and it wasn't as impressive. However, I did get an e-mail from a seventh place, and figured it was worth a shot. I'm glad I did.

Yesterday, I joked it was down to the dishwasher or the beach volleyball court. This one has both, and is cheaper. I couldn't find anything wrong, other than the fact that the cupboards are wood. None of the places were perfect, or terrible, but this last one seems to have the most intangibles. I also consulted with people familiar with the area, and they're all fine spots. It's slightly farther (20 minute commute instead of 10), but given there's all sorts of shopping on the way, it's not too bad. And, it's Orange County, so taxes will be a bit lower.

So, I tried going to work to print out some things, but couldn't card in. I'll ask tomorrow how one would do that. So, tomorrow, I'll probably spend the morning standing in line for the SSN, and start the application process.

But, being unable to do anything else productive that day, I took a friend's advice and went to Newport Beach. I figured I could make it before dark... well, I got close. Hit the city as the sun was going down, but parking proved difficult, and by the time I actually hit the coast, it was pretty dark. But, I was able to walk down the coast a bit, went on the pier (just straight fishing, not as interesting as Santa Monica), and got some food.

So, I got back to the car to find a parking ticket. The company that owns the lot I parked on has a board where you insert money into a slot, and park there. One dollar was supposed to be good for 2 hours, so I stuck a one dollar bill in, and parked in the right spot. No clue what I did wrong, but I e-mailed them, in case they can clarify something. The ticket is just $20, but it is silly to pay a ticket when I did everything as described on their sign. We'll see. If they don't answer, I can call them, too.

So, that's today. Hopefully, tomorrow, I get a SSN, letting me finish all the other things I wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment