Monday, January 6, 2014

Should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque

Today was the first day of work, and I needed to meet someone at the office at 9 am. I set the alarm at 7, after checking out of the hotel and getting everything done, it was about 8:10. That gave me just under an hour to drive 3 miles and find the office.
The GPS made the drive really easy and I got there around 8:30 with minimal little detours.
The hard part was finding the office. I went in, took the elevator to the 3rd floor and looked for the suite and couldn't find it. Turns out there are multiple towers to the building, and it took some guidance to find the right one. But I'm there now with 10 minutes to spare. Success! The last mile is always the hardest.

So, with that done, the next step was to drive 18 miles west on the freeway. Which I had never done before. I figured my coping mechanism would be to drive like a grandpa in the rightmost lane, and hope nothing goes too wrong. Thankfully, rumours about how crazy it is are greatly exaggerated. Most of the lanes hovered right around the speed limit, and despite a lot of traffic, it drives very smoothly. 

I did end up missing the exit for the end of the highway, shunting me to another highway, but the GPS pointed me along a different route, despite some construction, and I got to the Norwalk office without much delay.
Turns out I'm on the same team as my former co-worker from NB, and other than a quick meeting to set up a team, and getting all the employment paperwork done, my main task is to get up to speed with the system as much as I can.
But, it's a nice open office, parking is free, and the people are really fun to be around.

So, with a car rented, and the extended hotel booked for a week, the main priorities are to get a real car, and a real place, and since I have a rental car, that gets a lot easier.
Unfortunately, it takes like 10-15 days to get a SSN, so I won't get a crack at that until next week at the latest. And, I probably need my birth certificate, which may be in the moving truck, which I have no idea what the status is. So, we might need to improvise a bit. We'll see what they want. Turns out the office to have that done is right under where I work. I walk past the line to get to the elevator.

So, we know how the next few days will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment