Monday, January 27, 2014

Downtime and meeting people

Well, the good news is, now that all the big goals are done, I'm no longer on insane hours, but it means I need to do something with the time, again.

The area I'm in is nice, and I'm within walking distance to some shopping, so I passed through there, and saw what was available to me. I did find a nice frozen yogourt place, and a smaller sports store than the big chain one I was using until now.

I have been spending some time at the pool/whirlpool, and I've started meeting more people, which is nice. I was also referred to a site for meeting people at activities, so I joined a volleyball group, and an outdoors group, so I should get more active soon. Just the timing this week was a bit iffy, since I need stuff. I did get new volleyball kneepads, and I know I have a new pair of running shoes, for when I resume my running, and/or go hiking, which I might be doing next week.

Other than that, I've also been catching up on some Netflix, and some shows I've been meaning to see. It makes good watching for relaxing.

Over the next few days, I'll also unpack more stuff, so I'll get more of my stuff going. But, the move has generated a massive amount of packing paper, so I'll need to see how recycling works here. I'm pretty sure they're big on that, though there are easy to find massive dumpsters, where it would be easy to dispose of large amounts of stuff, but I do like being at least somewhat environmentally friendly.

So, all things said, I basically went from 0 to 60 in about 3 weeks, and everything now, is way less critical.

Hopefully the tech issues at work get resolved, so I can finish developer training. That probably is the fastest way to be a major contributor at work. However, my actual team is pretty busy, so hopefully I get to talk to my team lead about short term goals, soon. I also found a new career counsellor, so once I have short term goals handled, we'll see what long term goals are. I did come here for growth, so we'll see what resources my company has.

So, I'm not entirely sure what the next step is, but I'll plant some seeds and see what comes out.

I did volunteer to take over the company softball team, and most of the office pools, and I think I also volunteered to lead our team at a 'tough mudder' style obstacle course, so I guess I might also need to train.

I also vow to finish that damned couch to 5k program!

No comments:

Post a Comment